As promised today’s post is a delish and easy peasy recipe from the mind of my sista from another mista Susie Q. Susie entered this recipe in a competition for an easy, cheap, healthy recipe for students inand came second. The Gryffindork house is proud of ya Susie Q! You go Glen Coco!
Chicken and broccoli pasta bake:
- 200g breadcrumbs
- A head of broccoli, cut into pieces
- Two chicken breasts
- One red onion chopped
- About 200ml of creme fraiche (a small tub)
- A block of cheddar cheese
- 500g pasta
- Salt and pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 180.
- Cut the chicken breast into chunks and fry off with the onion until fully cooked and the onion is soft, set aside.
- Put the pasta into boiling water and cook for about five minutes, before adding the broccoli to the water. Only cook for a further two minutes until the broccoli is slightly cooked. Drain the water but keep about 200ml of the cooking liquid.
- Grate half the cheese block and mix about a handful of the cheese with the breadcrumbs.
- Mix the remaining cheese, creme fraiche, pasta water and salt and pepper together and add it to the pasta and broccoli. Add in the chicken and onions and it should be a creamy mix, if too dry add more creme fraiche.
- Put the creamy pasta and broccoli in a roasting tray or dish and then top with the cheesy breadcrumbs.
- Place the tray into the oven and cook for about ten minutes until the top is nicely brown and crunchy.
And Susie even included this price list for recipe so you can see how cost effective it is, as all the girls got dinner out of it, and half was still left over!
- Chicken breasts: €1.66
- Broccoli: €1.00
- Cheese: €2.00
- Creme fraiche: €1.69
- Breadcrumbs: €1.25
- Red onion: €0.30
- Pasta: €0.94
- Total = €8.84
Try the recipe and let me know how you get on!!